"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Being Festive

Happy July 4th!

It's a bit of a strange celebration for me--my ancestry includes 17th century immigrants to New England, and 17th century English folk who remained in place. I descend from Revolutionary soldiers and from Loyalists. And there's no denying my deep and abiding attachment to the Mother Country. (I insisted on placing an antique print of King George III and Queen Charlotte in the very same room with the oil portrait of my husband's Revolutionary officer ancestor, if that tells you anything.)

Oh, and what about the Canadians? I honour Canada Day as well, thanks to a Welshman who landed in St. John's, New Brunswick, in the early 1800's.

As I see it, divided affections means I've got the best of all worlds. But n this particular day I remind myself that when I roam the world, I do so clutching my American passport!

We had some excitement here yesterday--the nieces and nephew, and their parents, came to visit the girls. Dogs love kids, and kids love dogs, so it there was a mutual admiration society. Ruth was thrilled to play ball with them.



Lola politely explains that she doesn't actually play with toys herself. It's a little beneath her dignity.



This morning we had festive pancakes for breakfast on the deck.

I don't think this holiday is quite exciting enough for Ruth.



Just wait till dark, when we bring out the sparklers!

In less than an hour, we'll climb into the canoe to observe (not participate in) our little lake's Annual Fourth of July Regatta. Residents decorate their watercraft, and "parade" on the water. Prizes are awarded for creativity. Afterwards there's a strawberry social at one of the neighbour's cottages.

Rose of the Day.



Gallica officinalis, The Apothecary Rose, Red Rose of Lancaster, Rose of Provins, Double French Rose. Here's one that both my British and my early American ancestors would've grown, as well as the French folk. First recorded early in the 13th century, it must have existed prior to that. It was grown specifically for "perfumery and medicine."

It blooms profusely at this time of year, and forms hips afterwards. Tough as nails, like all the gallicas, it's a real treasure.

In the photo below--a bouquet made of various gallicas--officinalis is the big pink one in the middle, with the golden center.

No comments: