"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sweltering Sunday

Last night, there was a dinner dance cruise on the big white boat that passes up and down our bay. Every Saturday about 9 p.m. it comes by and turns around right in our "front yard." My camera isn't so great with the night shots, but I took one anyway, after it made that broad turn.



This morning we went for a swim at the private beach.



Then planted bright red impatiens in the window boxes.



Ruth and I spent a quiet afternoon. I polished off the the 2-volume fictional bio of Elizabeth, Duchess of Somerset. Although it covers much of the same period as my novel-in-progress, it's quite different in tone and focus. None of the primary (or secondary) people in my book got a mention. The William and Mary years, so crucial to my story, were skipped over entirely. The second half of the second volume took place at Queen Anne's Court.

I also finished a week-old Sunday Times from London.

While I was reading, my wee dog napped.

Intense heat forced me to wear that white cotton thing I mentioned yesterday, which I've had since my high school days.



Right now there's a nice breeze starting up. We're heading to our dock--time for a cooling swim and a refreshing cold cider. Looks like we'll have a splendid sunset...


No comments: