"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Blooms & Bunny

The long-threatened sidebar update has occurred. New additions include a few more favourite blogs, sort of mixed in with others. One criterion is that they are updated fairly regularly, although I've been known to overlook it. I added a few favourite media links.

Also, I've posted a batch of recommended titles about dogs, from my personal collection. Just in case any dog lovers are looking for some interesting or helpful reading material.

Yesterday I spent five whole hours in my second-largest garden, weeding, pruning, transplating, and re-positioning a rustic arbor for my perennial sweetpeas. Managed to do a bit of work on the long border. (Which needs a bit more work but isn't a high priority right now.) Among the plants moved: one rose, Grootendorst Supreme (a nifty little rugosa with petals that look like they were cut by pinking shears), a columbine that was too crowded and crying out to join all my other columbines in a different garden, and a purple liatris spicata (gayfeather) which went into a planter next to another liatris.

A nice crowd at church this morning. Our New Testament lesson was from Ephesians, Paul's reflection on spousal relationships: "Wives, obey your husbands." There was some grim chuckling in our pew....

Passing through the church garden after the service, I snapped these flower pics with my keychain digicam.





Just ten minutes ago, I stepped out into the rain to take a portrait of our big brown bunny, sitting in his favourite spot beside the fence, under the rugosas.



I used a flash for this one, his eyes aren't really demonic at all. They're soft and sweet and dark brown.



He let me get rather close, then hopped off into the woods--somewhat casually, not in too much of a hurry.

The Chap missed seeing him--again--having made a quick trip to the supermarket for provisions. He's bringing home Singapore Curry Noodles for our supper.

We'd welcome any good thoughts and best wishes for our lovely Lola, who tomorrow undergoes a fairly routine procedure requiring anaesthesia. Given her age, and having so recently lost dear Shadow, I can't help worrying more than I probably need to. It'll seem like a long morning....


No comments: