"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Other sights seen Saturday night

We were supposed to go somewhere yesterday but we didn't. He went to town. I stayed home to write more of that chapter I started on Saturday. It's nearly finished now.

My work that day, and on Sunday, may not sound terribly productive--"one third of a chapter." If it were a three-page chapter, that wouldn't be so much. But my chapters average 4500-5000 words, about 18 pages. In the early drafts, that is, because I often alter my chapter breaks around in later revisions.

So I'm getting down about 1500-1800 words a day, interspersed with the usual reading of reference materials, and outlining upcoming scenes. If the streak lasts, then I'll make my mid-September goal. Concurrently with this writing, I continue to make some pretty useful discoveries about the characters. Even though the primary research phase is over, it never actually stops!

At the Balloon Festival on Saturday night, there were other sights besides the balloons.

Near where we parked, we spotted this marvellous Morris Minor, a rare sight on this side of the Pond. What a beauty! (But that steering wheel is definitely on the wrong side!)

a well tended Morris Minor


A group of re-enactors had set up camp on the riverbank.

re-enactors' camp


And we saw something fascinating we'd read about in the press...

Battling Bull Moose


Somebody was walking in the woods one day and came upon the carcasses of two bull moose. In combat their great antlers had become locked--they couldn't release themselves, and there they died, stuck together for eternity.

A long and difficult taxidermy project ensued, with the result seen below.

locked together forever


It's a tragic story--refuting the concept of "survival of the fittest"--but an amazing display. These animals are enormous, and the taxidermist did a fine job re-creating the intensity of their facial expressions.

an intense fight


Here at our peaceful Lodge, the Stargazer lilies I potted up are blooming. The porch is wonderfully fragrant as a result, and the scent wafts into our bedroom with every breeze.

my stargazer lilies


Off to bake some cookies. Yes, I've got a meeting this afternoon!



No comments: