"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Day Not Like Yesterday

Yesterday was incredibly busy. Almost-never-leaving-my-desk sort of busy.

I priced and arranged placement of three political ads for my candidate group in three local newspapers. I drafted, finalised and submitted a convention report. I composed the text of a letter to some UK reference libraries. I checked in with people by telephone. They checked back. I emailed.

I forgot to eat any lunch--unless ginger biscuits count.

They were gingersnaps made by Archway--not quite as wonderful as McVities, but nice enough. In an idle moment--before I binned the empty packet--I studied the nutritional information on the back and discovered that a serving size is five cookies, equalling 150 calories. That's 30 calories per cookie. I reckon I consumed two servings over the course of the day, totalling 300 calories.

I've no idea how many calories I consume in the average day, because working it out requires the advanced mathematics skills I so sorely lack.

Yesterday for breakie I had a banana. For non-lunch, ten gingersnaps. During the course of the day I drank buckets of tea (milk, no sugar) and in the evening had my glass of wine. For supper (I dined alone, the Chap had a Vestry meeting), I fried 2 small eggs on small toasts and made a Big Green Salad with romaine lettuce. I don't think that adds up to zillions of calories--just as well, considering I sat at my desk all day long.

I did exercise with my free weights, as usual. And I climbed our staircase more times than I can count.

On a recent doctor's visit, I found out I'd lost several pounds since the previous doctor's visit a few weeks earlier. I wasn't trying, but I'm certainly not complaining.

Prime time television isn't the addiction it used to be, and I don't think it's my fault. Last night, I was actually working on my novel--except during Heroes. I have a lot of thoughts about Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Unfortunately, yesterday's edition of USA Today beat me to it.

Yesterday I listened to BBC Radio 4 all day long. Today I've switched to Five Live.

Here's the current landscape from my office window. That's the winterberry tree with all the red berries--the birds have barely made a dent. On the grass below is a chipmunk who probably isn't Gilbert.



I'm loving today. There's nothing I'm s'posed to do but write a book. And make chicken curry for our dinner.

I don't know whether I'll lunch. Now that the gingersnaps are all gone.


No comments: