"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, October 16, 2006

Weekend Wrap-up

I wish I'd remembered last Monday was Thanksgiving Day in Canada. I needed to borrow theirs, because I might not be having the typical American Thanksgiving this year. (That sounds pitiful, but trust me, it's really not.) I am thankful for so much, and if I start itemising, I won't get round to posting about my wonderful weekend!

I missed about 70% of the writers' group meeting, but did attend the lecture on story mapping by the visiting speaker, Annette Blair, who did a fantastic job. I first met her years ago, we were signing books at a Barnes & Noble somewhere--it was one of her first signings ever, for her first book, and she was so thrilled.

The Blog Free or Die event was fun! According to reports, about 25 area bloggers turned up. All were so nice and interesting--not that I met every single person, I could just tell.

TJ, the organiser, has a blog called Better Living Through Chemistry. Here he is, showing us how it's done.



I wasn't the only author. This fellow, J.A. Eddy, co-authored a novel, which he self-published. I came home with a copy. Doesn't his wife look proud? As she should be! He co-blogs with his brother at Weekend Pundit.



Driving home at dusk, I meet three deer walking across our road from the woods to the meadow. It's a common sight. I tried to photograph them, but it was too dark. In the picture, all you can see is blackness with three sets of glowing eyes staring back at me.

Yesterday we had an emotional church service (our priest shared some happy/sad news), followed by a Via Media session. The Chap and I went up to the cottage to do some end-of-season stuff.

I've posted plenty of pics of the Cottage at the Big Lake in autumn. Here are some scenes from the Lodge on the Little Lake.

Glowing trees.



Serene water.



This morning Ruth spotted a ruffed grouse in our front yard. Naturally, she barked at it, just like she does when she sees the big brown rabbit. Or a deer.

Obedience class graduation is tonight. We'll spend the day cramming for the final exam. And I'm making cookies for the party afterwards. Doesn't she look excited?




No comments: