"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day



Six months ago, when I carried my eight quarters ($2) to the town office to file as a candidate for our State Legislature, this day seemed very distant.

I'll be heading off to the polls in a little while. My candidate group divided up the polling places in our 3-town district, and one or more of us will stand outside holding signs and passing out flyers.

Fortunately, the weather is dry. A bit grey, but not cold. And the rains aren't due to arrive till after the polls close tonight.

This morning our newspaper featured a Washington Post article about how physical appearance affects a candidate's chances of success. There's not much I can do to improve mine, beyond makeup and my new hairstyle, and a snazzy, well-coordinated outfit. I suppose I could follow the example of Georgiana, the giddy and glamourous 18th century Duchess of Devonshire, and offer kisses in exchange for votes. (She wasn't running, she was trying to convince Londoners to vote for her family's favourite House of Commons candidate.) But that might mess up my exquisitely applied lipstick. Or cost me the votes of any wives who accompany their husbands. Or I might get turned down! So I'll refrain.

I wish I could take Ruth and Lola. A cute, friendly little dog and a gorgeous, stately large dog would serve me well, and I'd have somebody to talk to!

Bottled water--check
Campaign sign--check
Comfy (but attractive) shoes--check
Ibuprofen--check
Driving licence and car keys--check
Optimism--check

I honestly don't think I'm going to win. And I won't be disappointed if I don't, as long as we get our incumbent re-elected, plus one more from our candidate group. It doesn't need to be me.

One thing keeps occurring to me....In this country, women have had the vote for a bit less than 100 years. And here am I, one of 3 women in my district running for the Legislature...in a state that has a very high percentage of female legislators. That's cool. It truly is an honour to play a small part in this process. I've already won!

No comments: