"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve

I've mentioned how unseasonably warm the weather has been, and today is no different...I wore a light jacket to church this morning.

The wildlife is also noticing the strange conditions. Wally the chipmunk climbed up from her burrow at lunchtime. I don't believe we've ever had a December chipmunk sighting. Usually the snow is too deep, and the ground well frozen.

After many, many weeks underground, she was squinting at the bright light. I caught her with her eyes shut!



On a recent evening I shot this photo. I was facing southeast. The sinking sun was behind me, turning the blue sky purple and making the low-hanging clouds pink. I love the silhouette of the tall trees at the edge of our forest.



Nearly every year I manage to capture this same winter scene, which to me seems suitable for a peaceful, expectant Christmas Eve.


No comments: