"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Inauguration Day



Today was the Inauguration for the Governor and the Executive Council. Numerous dignitaries attended, including at least three former governors and many, many others, and musicians and singers--a class schoolchildren, a band with bagpipers, a quartet, and a female clergywoman.

My seat being located at some distance from the television cameras, or immediately in front, there was little danger of being captured. But a photographer of one of the big dailies caught me as I was looking up at the gallery and applauding the trumpet players at the very end. He asked me to write down my name and town and district...but I'm guessing he got plenty of better shots that will please his editor more than the one of me!

We were called into a joint session with the Senate. The Chief Justice of the State's Supreme Court administered the Oath. After the Governor's address, there was a receiving line in the Executive Council chamber, the enormous meeting room adjoining the famous "Corner Office" belonging to our Governor, pictured below.



Here's the receiving line. In order: the Governor, the Chief Justice, the President of the Senate, the Speaker of the House.



After shaking hands and chatting with everyone in the line, from the Governor on down, and complimented the young girls playing chamber music, my chums and I returned to Representatives' Hall for a private photo op. Here I am in the seat where I'll spend plenty of time for the next couple of years.



There was some time to kill before the next event, a public reception. So my friends and I went shopping on Main Street. I just went along, and of coursed ended up being the only one who bought anything--a pair of shoes.

We returned to the Executive Council Chamber, where the Governor and his wife were receiving members of the public and state employees. The food was lovely, the hot cider delicious and warming (not that it was so cold outside).

Some jazzmen were playing in the background. After the Governor made some welcoming remarks, the world-famous Tommy Makem and his son Rory played for us. And they led us in a lively sing-along.



It was a really fun day, very festive.

More of that to come...Stay tuned.


No comments: