"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, February 05, 2007

Another Successful Wildlife Rescue

She hit the glass with such force I heard the impact downstairs in my lair. Racing to the deck, I prayed I wouldn't find a corpse. She sat on the snow, stunned but clearly alive: a female hairy woodpecker.

I know the drill: place the bird in a covered box, let it sit in a warm place (especially important today, when the temperature is in the single digits), and leave it to recover its equilibrium.

So that's exactly what I did.

Ruth checks on the patient.



The bird had lost a few downy feathers, but her eyes were bright and alert. After a little while she moved about, not frantically, but clearly ready to return to her outdoor habitat.



I put the box on the deck, tipped it on its side.

The woodpecker flew upward, soaring in a straight line towards the hemlock trees.

I've been watching for her and can happily report she's already returned to the suet feeder at least once.


No comments: