"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday

Yesterday my committee met in our conference room at the Legislative Office Building, for public hearings followed by an Executive Session. In the morning, while passing through the underground tunnel that connects the State House and the LoB, I met the Governor coming from the LoB where he had been testifying at a hearing.

I hated American Idol last night. Several guys who, in my opinion, shouldn't have got passed forward to the Hollywood round proved me right.

This morning we had another joint session of the House and Senate, attended by the Governor and various judges, for an an address on the judiciary issues by the Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court.

After the joint session, we had a House session, voting consent on various bills. (Meaning they'll be passed over to the Senate.) We had a couple of roll call votes. The majority party prevailed.

The House session lasted till after 1 p.m., by which time everybody was starving. Several committees were meeting in Executive Session this afternoon, but not mine.

The major upcoming event in town is moving the old Meetinghouse. The re-location will begin in the early hours of Sunday morning. On the way home I passed the warning sign informing drivers that the highway will be closed between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m.



I shot the church (while stopped by a red traffic light!) It has already been lifted up from its foundation in preparation for the move. There's a gap now beneath the building, you can see if you look closely.



I returned to the Lodge to find more telephone messages about the bill that has its public hearing in my committee tomorrow morning. It's expected to draw a large crowd (mostly of opponents) so we'll have the use of Representatives Hall. I've received dozens of emails (mostly in opposition) and I don't know how many telephone calls and messages. I'm leaning one way--probably not the way my party would like-- but will listen respectfully to both sides of the debate.

Tonight our church holds an Ash Wednesday with Imposition of Ashes.

Afterwards, the Chap will watch American Idol and I shall probably stick my nose in a book or magazine (and my fingers in my ears!)


No comments: