"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, February 25, 2007

How I'm Spending my Break

Day 1: Friday

  • blogged about Thursday
  • started reading novel
  • magazines read: W (featuring a fab article about African-American artist Kara Walker, whose work I've seen in galleries and admire greatly) and Publishers Weekly (so where's their review of my cousin's debut novel, anyway?)

    Day 2: Saturday

  • did my '06 taxes (Oh, What a good girl am I!)
  • finished reading novel (most excellent!)
  • magazines read: Preservation, Condé Nast Traveler, Yankee, Vogue (featuring a great article by food critic Jeffrey Steingarten about having his own personal chef for a couple of weeks...decided I couldn't easily give up control of my kitchen and shopping, or eat gourmet lunches and dinners every single day.)
  • watched The Independent Spirit Awards for indie films on IFC followed by my adored A Man for All Seasons all by myself because the Chap went to a nonprofit fundraising party to which I didn't go because I'm seriously On Break

    Day 3: Sunday

  • went to church and attended the adult Via Media forum afterwards
  • returned to the Lodge and ate a pear for lunch in the sunroom
  • drove up to the cottage on the Big Frozen Lake with the Chap and the girls
  • watched the Aquatherm propeller whizz the water (to keep it open and prevent freezing around our precious pilings)
  • bitched about visible winter damage to our dock (which the Aquatherm and all those costly $$$ metal pilings we had installed 2 years ago are supposed to prevent!)
  • shot 192 awesome photographs

    ~~a very tiny teeny weensy small sampling~~


    Ruth's preferred swimming spot, with sandy beach. Looks as if we'll have a bit of a wait till we can open swimming season again! (The trucks are parked on the lake.)



    Our next-door cottage neighbours arrived just as we did (coincidentally, not by pre-arrangement). They strapped on snowshoes for the short hike to their compound.



    Ruth, our little snowplow, ascending a snow wall.



    Your blogger, posing on our dock with Ruth and Lola.



    My best artsy shot of sunlight on ice with mountains behind.



    My other best artsy shot: Still Life with Legs (Theirs!)



    The only, lonely bobhouse (ice fishing hut) in our part of the Bay. We saw lots of snowmobiles passing by. And many small sightseeing planes.



    A plane landing at the Tip o' the Bay, where there's an active seasonal landing strip.



  • mourned the pile of rubble that used to be the Pavilion overlooking the Bay (destroyed by fire a couple of months ago)
  • returned to the Lodge with takeaway Singapore Noodles from Ping's
  • shopped online for Stuff Seen in Vogue: beautiful satiny top, 2 shampoos (1 for me, 1 for dogs)
  • drank caipirinha
  • blogged about my Break
  • logged off
  • sat down to watch pre-Academy Awards red carpet shows
  • smiled on exhausted dog beasts sleeping very deeply on sofa and carpet
  • looked forward to doing same--in my own bed--whenever Academy Awards are over


  • No comments: