"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

More thrilling Break activity

Day 4

  • received telephone call from a friend
  • drove to one of the nation's most prestigious boarding schools to meet a different friend for lunch in the Refectory (pictured below). He's a department chair and faculty member.
  • observed to him that the exquisite and generous slice of German Chocolate Cake was definitely not appropriate Lenten fare
  • ate it anyway



  • visited a carwash. I was the first driver to enter after the Car Wash Repairman finished his work. Consequently, my writer's imagination ran amuck imagining one horrific scenario after another. What if he didn't connect the wires properly? Could I be crushed by the sprayer? Gosh, $8 is a lot of money for soap and water, is there a refund if my car doesn't get clean? Could this be a diabolical form of infinite water torture? Why is it so hot in here? What's that funny smell--poison fumes? Am I feeling faint? When is that door going to open and let me out of here? Damn, I haven't got my mobile phone. I'm doomed.



  • emerged safely from the car wash, my big black Saab transformed from one of the filthiest vehicles in region into the cleanest and shiniest. The soap 'n' soak cycle miraculously removed the disgusting white coating of salt, grime, road dust, mud, etc.
  • on my way to the Post Office, felt superiour to drivers of very, very dirty cars
  • nearly got run over in the P.O. parking lot as I stood there stunned by the gleam and glisten of my own clean (still dripping) Saab
  • during my homeward journey, admired the historic Meetinghouse in its new location behind the historic Town Hall (didn't stop, it's a drive-by shot)



  • talked on the telephone with the same friend who called me in the morning
  • telephoned the Chap
  • found out he'd paid only $2.50 to clean his small Saab at the self-serve car wash near his office
  • didn't care that he was more thrifty than me (as usual)
  • read emails received at my legislator email address regarding controversial issues
  • greeted the Chap enthusiastically when he got home
  • cooked dinner
  • ate it
  • watched 24

    Day 5

  • returned telephone call concerning a "faith in public policy" conference
  • rang the UK to renew an overseas magazine subscription
  • threw red ball for Ruth till one of us became uncooperative
  • shopped online for embroidery kit (several ladies in the Legislature do handwork...mostly knitting. I haven't knitted since I was 12 years old, but I love embroidery)
  • blogged again
  • ate brunch in the sunroom
  • wrote a novel (more accurately, a very small portion of one)

    more pictures from our afternoon on the Big Lake


    Standing on top of the water we swim in during the summer



    Ice formation clinging to a rock beneath our dock



    The winds whip down the bay and push up the water under the ice, making it bend and buckle like this



    A bright spot in the woods, where the beech saplings hold fast to their leaves




  • No comments: