"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, February 15, 2007

A World of White and Blue

Subtitle: Everything Looks Pretty with Snow & Sunshine

For example....

The State House, where this morning a joint session of the House and Senate heard our Governor's budget address. (Gentle readers, I paused to take this photo specifically for your viewing pleasure. Even though the temperature was 9 degrees F--also known as effing 9 degrees--while being whipped by winds of 20 mph.)




The historic Old Meetinghouse, which on Saturday our town voted to save. It will be picked up and moved, intact, and relocated to a property farther along the highway on Feb. 25th. (I hopped out of the car for this one. It was 15 degrees, and still very windy, hence the slightly tilted frame. I was snow blind and shivering. All for you!)





Closer to home, the Old Tree by the stone wall on the hilly road that leads to our little lake. (Hilltops are extremely windy. I heard branches breaking in the woods behind me.)




A few yards from the Old Tree, a view up to the deer meadow. (My feet were so cold trudging through snow, despite my shearling lined leather boots.)




And the little lake itself--no longer a sheet of ice, but a sheet of ice topped by a foot of snow, give or take. (Call me a wimp, but for this one I merely lowered my car window and pointed the camera .)




No comments: