"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Busy Day for All

This morning I showed Jewel this week's calendar for the House of Representatives, and the dozens of bills that we had to act upon today.



I advised Ruth to catch up on her reading while I was away doing the People's Business.



The session started at 10 a.m. We broke for lunch from 12:30 to 1:40, and the freshmen had a pizza lunch in a historic house across from the State House. We legislated like crazy, morning and afternoon. Both of the bills I had blurbed passed easily on a voice vote, no debate.

The session ended at 6 p.m. I was exhausted.

On my return to our forest, my three girls and the Chap greeted me warmly.

Lola, Ruth and Jewel have morphed into a mostly unified pack. Yesterday Lola and Jewel napped at my feet in a heap, and Jewel used Lola's back for a head rest. Ruth and Jewel are able to share the sofa with a minimum of fussing. The young ones play hard and sleep hard.

Before our supper tonight (the Chap was making a big omelette for us to share), I put the girls out back for a few minutes. We noticed flashes of movement among the trees--two snowshoe hares racing about in the woods, hopping along in the snow. I watched, enthralled, as the dogs barked and peered through the gaps in the fence.

I always wondered if the hare I've seen so often had a mate. Or perhaps I've been seeing two different hares and never knew it!


No comments: