"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Snowy, Sappy, Syrupy, Sheepish Sunday

We woke to a white world this morning.



Three inches of heavy spring snow decorated our landscape beautifully.



Our drive to church was simply magical. By midday, the sun was out and the snow but a memory.

We decided to visit our favourite sugaring establishment after all. When we arrived the parking lot was filled. Lots of other people were taking advantage of the annual Open House Weekend!

Here's a lesson on maple syrup-making, in 8 easy steps.

Note: You can outsource (insource?) some of these steps if you've remembered to reproduce, thereby providing your own workforce.

Step 1: Tap the Trees.

This is the old-fashioned, less efficient, more picturesque method.



Step 2: Deliver gallons of sap to the sugar house.



Step 3: As the sap is piped into the sugar house, it passes through the filter.



Step 4: Maintain your supply of available wood.



Step 5: Stoke the furnace.



Step 6: Let the evaporator do its thing.



Step 7: Pour off the syrup.



Step 8: Bottle and label.



In the shop, I bought a bag of maple sugar candies. I'll carry them with me into Representatives Hall to sustain my energy during long session days!

Then I dragged the Chap into the farmyard, as usual, to see the sheep and their lambs. I took countless photos.

This one smiled for the camera.



"Put me on the web, please please please!



Backtracking somewhat, the Writers' Day conference was outstanding. I will share, promise. When I recover from today's activities!

No comments: