"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, May 21, 2007

Buy This Book!

(If you like really scary stories...)


Tomorrow is publication day for my cousin Justin's debut novel.

Some family members have already read the book, many have not--I'm in the latter category.

The entire parental generation is presently in Europe--Italy, Scotland--but I'm sure they'll be celebrating in some fashion.

Last week there was another announcement about the movie rights.

Also last week, the new author was featured in this USA Today article.

Last night, reading my Vogue magazine, I found a mention of his novel in the book review section.

I plan to take it with me to the lake cottage later this week. Unless I chicken out and can't read it while Home Alone, in which case I'll read it here at the Lodge in the Chap's comforting presence.

This is a glorious bright day. After a week of rain, I'm not used to all this sunshine--but it's extremely welcome. Long may it last!

The Governor's office phoned this morning to inform me of the date/time/location for the signing ceremony of that high-profile bill I co-sponsored, honouring the two local police officers killed in the line of duty. Sounds as if there will be the usual media attention. When I gave my address the House of Representatives earlier this month, footage of me at the podium showed up on the early evening tv newscast.

The entire experience has been very emotional, and it escalates. I'm sure the bill signing and the dedication of the memorial (in a couple of weeks) will be difficult, especially for the bereaved families and law enforcement colleagues.

No comments: