"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

E.C.U. and A.C.U.

E.C.U.

Extreme Close Up during last night's Flood Relief Telethon.



Yes, I'm left-handed. The sinister truth is revealed!

I was concentrating so very hard on my very important task, I had no idea the camera was on me till afterwards, when my fellow representatives told me about it.

I rode down to the television station with a fellow legislatrix from my area. We were the second shift (8 PM till midnight.) The first shift was clearly very busy! The Governor (first shift) was still there--he'd been working the phones--also the House Speaker, members of the leadership. The State Treasurer was receiving and recording the donor information.

During the Dancing with the Stars broadcast, the phones were too damned quiet. The station couldn't flash the telethon number because of the conflict with the phone-in number to vote for the favourite dancing couple. It was a little better during The Bachelor. Someone turned on the studio monitor so we could watch the programs (no sound). Talking with one another was vastly more entertaining.

We were prominently featured during the 11:00 news, and the phones got very busy!

"$100!! Thanks so much for your generous pledge!"



At the end of the newscast, when the total is announced, I'm exuberantly clapping my hands in the background.



When we left at midnight, we'd raised $128,300, or something like that.

I slept late this morning.

A.C.U.

I'm All Caught Up. Articles are submitted (in advance of deadlines), reports written (ditto), contest entries judged (ditto), websites updated, calendars organised, plans made, email in-box under control.

What's a girl to do?

Read! My Amazon UK shipment arrived yesterday.

Play outdoors in my gardens (until the blackflies notice me).

Watch for the hummingbirds' return! This is the usual day for their arrival at the Lodge. I set out my feeders days ago, and ever since have stared longingly at them, waiting. It's an obsession. According to the Hummingbird Migration Map, some lucky person in or near the Lakes Region one last month--the Seacoast, too.

Write! (I'm not counting this blogpost.)

Celebrate! It's the 13th anniversary of the purchase of our beloved house and surrounding forest.


No comments: