"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, June 18, 2007

Garden Glory

The wisteria is blooming--for the very first time. I'm inexpressibly joyful...having waited many, many years in hopes that this otherwise thriving specimen would reward my patience.



And here's a former Rose of the Day, the rugosa hybrid Thérese Bugnet.



Rose of the Day: Snowdon



It, too, is a rugosa hybrid, a lovely white one, very nicely scented. It's also prickly as hell, so I must be very careful when taking the flowers.



Tragically, a very severe winter killed the plant to the ground and for several years now it has been in recovery. At long last it has returned to its former glory and is a towering beauty once more.



Like most of my recent Roses of the Day, it was obtained from a rose grower in Maine, unfortunately no longer in business.


No comments: