"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, June 08, 2007

Homebody

Today, I was able to sleep half the morning away instead of rising early to make myself presentable and join the commuters on their way to the city.

Today, I'm surrounded by dozens of tall, silent trees instead of restless, noisy legislators.

Today, my biggest decision was whether to pot my miniature rose trees before lunch or after, instead of whether to push the green or red button.

Yesterday's Session in the House, which we all expected to be somewhat brief, turned out to be the opposite. As on Wednesday, Thursday brought many unexpected developments. I could have endured them better if this dratted cold I'm battling hadn't sapped whatever energy wasn't depleted the day before.

During this long week of forums and meetings and sessions and a party, I forgot how peaceful and healing is my Lodge. How entertaining and companionable are my dogs. How beautiful my birds. How lovely and abundant my gardens.

Perennial of the Day: Purple columbine hybrid.



Rose of the Day: Double Blush Burnet



A Scotch rose hybrid, always the first to bloom, and a favourite of the tiny bees!


No comments: