"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Presidential Idol

I've hardly had time to catch my breath, much less blog, over the past few days.

The Chap returned--from Newfoundland, where he was chasing icebergs. Perhaps, if I ask sweetly, he'll let me post one of his amazing photographs here.

His sister arrived on the same day. We picked her up at the airport and went to our usual favourite Mexican restaurant for a late dinner.

Thursday, it was off to the State House for a party caucus, followed by another signing ceremony by the Gov., in the Exec. Council Chamber (my second such ceremony this week, but this time I was a supporter rather than a sponsor of the particular bill being signed.)

We then had a long, long session, starting at 10 and wrapping up at about 4, followed by a nice party with lots of decadent food.

I don't remember Thursday night. I was in a stupor.

Yesterday (Friday) I headed up to the lake cottage. Spent the afternoon painting a back bedroom. Last evening is a blur. I vaguely recall reading a week's worth of neglected newspapers and magazines.

This morning, it was up early (for Saturday) and off to the city to attend the annual party convention, along with 800+ other persons of my political persuasion. There wasn't a great deal of business, mostly we heard from elected officials--the Governor, our Congressman and Congresswoman, the 3 '08 Senatorial candidates.

And we played Presidential Idol. Not that there was an opportunity to vote anybody off--that happens on NH Primary Day.

Nearly all the '08 candidates, or their stand-ins were there. If I remember correctly: (in person) Sen. Dodd, Gov. Richardson, Rep. Kucinich, former Sen. Gravel; (stand ins): Sen. Clinton, former Sen. Edwards.

Oh, yes, and our last but in my view the most impressive of the lot, Michelle (Mrs. Barack) Obama. She totally rocked. (Memo to candidates: if you can't be there in person, don't send a colleague from Washington. Send your spouse. Especially if your spouse is as charismatic, intelligent, beautiful, and humourous as Michelle Obama.)

I wrapped up the day with a caucus organizing session, then headed home to be greeted with wild enthusiasm by the dogs. I delivered all sorts of campaign junk I'd collected--or been forced to accept--to the Chap.

I plan to be in a stupor tonight, too. And read more newspapers and magazines.

The orioles have colonised our yard (nice). The female painted turtles have begun their annual migration from the lake across the road into our yard to lay eggs. (First one showed up May 30, same as last year!) The snowshoe hare, now brown, is omnipresent (it almost knocked me over the other morning as I walked along the drive to collect the newspaper!) I planted two antique roses and a rugosa hybrid in my main rose garden. I've acquired another pair of tree (standard) roses, miniatures this time, and need to buy a pair of worthy, attractive receptacles to pot them in.

The weather has been humid and damp, often rainy. My rose bushes are already so laden with buds than I'm becoming impatient for the late June display...which might even come early this year. Rugosas are already blooming in the city!

We're having Lebanese food tonight--braised lamb and mushrooms and pine nuts served on top of a bowl of hummus, which is scooped up with chunks of pita bread. My brain is too numb to come up with the name of this traditional dish. I only know I could concoct it in my sleep! (And perhaps will.)


No comments: