"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, July 16, 2007

Making Progress

Last evening I finished the chapter, and even typed up the longhand version. It's in draft stage, rather rough. In revision it should max out at about 4000 words.

Goal accomplished.

My reward: reading somebody else's novel.



I enjoyed it. A fun escape--and that's entire plot in a nutshell.

Since I seem to be on a wriring roll, this morning I outlined two upcoming chapters, and will start on one of them this afternoon.

Our walk this morning was glorious, it's a magnificent day--clear sky, cool air. Traditionally the day of departure is the best of the lot. In order to break the tradition, I'm staying on till tomorrow morning. I checked the amount of remaining dog food--enough for their dinner, and a bit more. (I may need to supplement the breakfast bowls with a small portion of cheerios.)

Yesterday, during the daily storm, three people were struck by lightning at the farm where I pick raspberries. Everyone's okay--even the pregnant lady--but what a terrible trauna.

I haven't been up to the Ridge to pick, but now I'm tempted--so long as there's no storm in the forecast. (Which lately, is never.) On lastnight's tv news--they interviewed the proprietor about the incident--the berries looked beautiful.

So much wordsmithing has depleted me. Fortunately, I needn't attempt to be entertaining today, thanks to this guy. Enjoy.


No comments: