"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, September 03, 2007

Dog Lover

On Saturday the Chap and I went to the airport and picked up my sisters-in-law. Then we made them eat Mexican food at our favourite restaurant. (We didn't have to force them, they were perfectly willing.)

On Sunday, we went to church, came home, loaded the car with dogs, dog toys, a comfy bed for Lola, a few bratwurst, several beers and a couple of hard ciders and drove to the cottage on the Big Lake.

Nancy is a dog lover. She borrowed my camera to photograph Lola...



...and Jewel, whose new kerchief came from Québec and features the Canadian $1000 note. It has the Queen's head all over it. that's why her pose is so regal and queenly.



Nancy also gave Ruth flying lessons in the kitchen.



It was a gorgeous day and we had a wonderful cookout--grilled vegetables (potatoes, zucchini, summer squash, portobello mushrooms), bratwurst (meaty ones and vegetarian ones), asparagus, fresh sliced tomatoes, and carrot cake (icing made by me).

All night long the Chap and his sister played a dice game while Nancy and I cuddled young dogs on the sofa and Lola watched from her cushion-y bed.

Today, as gorgeous as yesterday, we spent at the Lodge. I finished re-reading an old novel I hadn't read since I was a teenager--one of those very influential books that, years ago, convinced me that I wanted to be a writer of historical novels (and other things).

How did it hold up, after all these years?

I'm am utterly humbled. But oh, so inspired--all over again.


No comments: