"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Eye Spy

My eyes are tired. They're really getting a workout these days.

For the past week, off and on, I've been wearing my new contact lens presciption in an initial trial pair (one week's wear). I'm switching to the multifocal type, and I absolutely love them. Tomorrow I'll pick up my second trial pair (one month's wear.)

And today I received my new specs. A very nice frame, different from the last but not too different. My eyes and brain must accustom themselves to this new prescription...so far so good after few hours.

A great improvement! I can make out the rapidly colouring leaves at the very tops of the trees. And the picture on the television looks like it's in 3-D!

Coming home this afternoon, I spotted a pair of deer, a young doe and her offspring--grazing the grass of a neighbour's front yard. I stopped the car to gaze--I could count every hair on their hides with these new specs. Plus, they were quite close to the car, and not very nervous because for quite some time they stood there staring back at me.

I had the camera on the car seat beside me, but was slow to reach for it, knowing any motion would startled them. And because I did, and it did, I captured a rather blurred photo of their retreat up the drive.



Ruth and Jewel are outside barking their heads off behind their fence, I suspect we've got deer in or near our own woods. Possibly the same pair.

The snowshoe hare has been a regular visitor at dusk.

In morning and early evening we hear pileated woodpeckers. Not only here at the Lodge, but up at the cottage as well.

With my awesome new vision, I should have no trouble spotting them among the trees.


No comments: