"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Sixteen Wheels

That's how many we've got now.

Not counting a set of winter snow tires with rims for my car, which increases the whopping total to twenty wheels!

No wait--with each spare tire, that means twenty-four wheels!

Because the Chap bought another car this afternoon, a Subaru with All Wheel Drive. Our two Saabs are front-wheel drive, my Saab does better than his does in wintry weather (not only because of the snow tires). So, to better enable his commute to the office, he wanted AWD.

The acquisition of said vechicle took us to a part of the state we rarely visit--practically never. Maybe once or twice before. We were last there about fifteen years ago, to decide whether we'd like living in that area. But it's a lot farther from the Big Lake than the Lodge is.

Still, it's perfectly nice--open spaces and woodlands, lots of farmland--right now they are very dry cornfields, farms of wilting vegetables, ripening pumpkin fields, and dusty corn mazes. Also rivers (without much water at the moment)and some pleasant hilly country with shady lanes on ridge tops.

The people from whom we bought the car have a lovely circa 1760 house in an extremely pleasant location. We were all simpatico, they know one of my fellow freshmen legislators.

Each in our own vehicle, the Chap and I came home along the back byways ... interesting, dark names on some of the road signs, right out of Stephen King. Purgatory Hill. Blood Road. We didn't dare follow those.

Just now I phoned my parents to say and sing "Happy Anniversary!" It's their 51st. I was not born till they had been married for a while.

One of my friends in the House of Representatives greeted me on Thursday by asking, "How are my friends Lola and Ruth and Jewel?" I like people who know my dogs by name, even if they've never met. He asked me if we wanted a fourth dog, and described a tempting one--black and white male, 2 years old--at his local ASPCA shelter.

"If I adopted a fourth dog," I answered, "I'd lose one husband."

The Representative laughed, then handed me a plastic bag filled with dog bones.

The girls are thrilled to have the treats--a different brand than we serve at home.

Lola proves that they're good to the last crumb!



My Chap has drawn the line at three dogs. But I'm letting him have four cars.


No comments: