"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Boxing Day

A favourite memory from this holiday season: driving to church on Christmas Eve under a beautiful full moon.



For me, this is a quiet Boxing Day, as the Chap has returned to his office (sporting the new necktie I got him in London). It's also my brother's birthday (he was my late Christmas gift that year). And a first cousin's birthday. What a family we are for doubling-up on birthdays! (My father-in-law and I share ours.)

It's also the Feast of St. Stephen, the patronal saint of our parish church.

In keeping with Boxing Day traditions, I'll be taking care of some charitable donations today. And on this, the Second Day of Christmas, we'll have our Christmas Pudding (personally imported from the UK).

It's bad form to crow about pressies received. I'll just say that several of mine were surprising or simple or sentimental or all three. From my mum, a hand-me-down Rosenthal rose-patterned cake plate that was my grandmother's. From the chap, myrrh-scented joss sticks, with an aroma very similar to liturgical incense, which I happen to like. A jar of honey from the family hives.

Today I'm re-organising my office a bit. And reading. And writing.


No comments: