"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Phenomenon

Visiting the big, busy world beyond the Lodge yesterday, I found snow mounds more massive than earlier in the week, and a maddening amount of traffic. After my mandolin lesson I dropped off London-purchased Christmas gifts for my two youngest friends (at their dad's office), then picked up some stocking stuffers for the dogs, retrieved my Honorable Mail from my P.O. Box, and unloaded our household mail from our other mailbox (a double load, as the rural carrier couldn't deliver on Thursday because the town plow was so late getting to our area.)

I found numerous Christmas cards from the V.I.P.P.'s (Very Important Political People), and even better, from my best mates of college and grad school years.

A few yards from our mailbox is this view of our little lake. The phenomenon I spotted: mist rising off the snow-covered surface.



The photo doesn't do it justice. I sat and gazed and gazed with the car window down, until I got cold. The light was fading rapidly.

This afternoon a priest friend--or to give him his proper title, a reverend canon friend--and I are seeing Sweeney Todd. I reckon we're the only two people in Christendom who aren't frantically finishing up Christmas shopping--wrapping--baking!


No comments: