"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Activity

My legislative committee met this morning in Executive Session. We "exec'ed" six bills in rapid succession, finishing our task in 70 minutes. Unanimity prevailed, except in one instance when the vote was 13-2.

One of the reporting subcommittees was dealing with permissable caliber of pistol bullets for the taking of game. We had a show and tell with some shell casings, of which the photo below is a reasonable facsimile:



On my way across Main Street, I directed a glance towards the building upon which the Concord web cam is located. It hasn't been operational recently and I don't know why. I've never successfully spotted the webcam.

In the course of my homeward journey I stopped to purchase some upholstery fabric and hard cider. Never fear, I shan't be imbibing and upholstering at the same time. I rely on professionals to make my cushion covers!

I left the big giant red ball in the dogs' play-yard in my absence. While I was out, it moved! This encourages the belief that Somebody played with it. Perhaps two Somebodies!

After catching up on my voluminous legislative email (I predict a sharp decline within 24 hours) I expected to spend the afternoon hard at work. The Gods of the Internets prevented this by invading my browser, altogether disabling my access to the web (horrors!), forcing me to seek a tech support remedy (ha! no such thing). There followed much huffing and cursing and self-troubleshooting followed by an uninstall...resulting in success (ha! ha!).

Now the evening draws nigh. All I've accomplished during a full and free afternoon: solving a problem that prevented my doing what I should've been doing all along.

It happens that the Chap has 2 board meetings back-to-back this evening so I don't have to do a proper meal or be sociable. Perhaps I'll manage some work on the ms. since I couldn't/didn't this afternoon.

I very much fear that there may be another mandolin in my future. Having already discovered I'm not immune to the dreaded Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome (MAS) I had a good chat with my instructor last week. He talked me down, a little bit. But I'm still craving. And I haven't a good history of successfully suppressing my cravings.

Besides, we all know the President wants us to go out and Buy Stuff and is reportedly sending us some $$$ with which to get all spendy. As I haven't got any debts to pay off, I suppose I might oblige him. Time will tell. Knowing me, the purchase will be made long, long before that Government check arrives.


No comments: