"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Red Hearts, White World

This a.m. my valentine drove me down the hill to my car so I could travel to the Legislative Office Building to the Executive Session in my legislative committee. As we did yesterday, we had quorum issues and drafted a representative from another committee to join our deliberations. We started at 10, finished at 11:30.

Being one of two females on the committee had its advantages today--we and the committee secretary received a Valentine's gift bag and a red heart-shaped box with some chocolates (in my case, also know as "lunch").

Because my other two meetings--afternoon and evening--were cancelled, I had a free afternoon to shop for pressies and a card for my own dear valentine. Plus a card from the dogs. The category expansion in Valentine's and other special occasion cards is sometimes useful.

The only territory I've seen lately is along the route to and from the State House, and the downtown streets immediately adjacent. So the size of the mountains of plowed snow in big box store parking areas took me by surprise.



You could practically ski down this one. I believe it qualifies as an alp.



I wasn't the only one taking photos, either!

And then, of course, we have the ever-growing snow mountains at the Lodge. Here's the one beside the garage.



If we get any more snow, it will also be the one blocking the gargage. It's completely solid, hard as concrete.

This month is only half over, but the above is almost certain to be my choice for the February 2008 photo in the sidebar. I've been emailing all three photos to people living in places where it never/hardly ever snows.

I was supposed to be born today, but I wasn't. My mother rang me up to remind me of this fact and to wish the Chap and me a Happy Valentine's from her and the father. I was practically a 10-month baby. My brother, too.

We've always regarded this day as my pre-birthday, the one she wanted me to have. Only I was too stubborn. Or lazy. Or just not yet ready to face the world. As is often still the case!


No comments: