"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bright but Quiet

We've had a series of very bright, sunny days. The winds have departed and the air has been fairly warm--though that's about to change--and melting has occurred.

We've sighted our first flock of robins, on the way to Maundy Thursday service, and even better, the first chipmunk, driving to Easter morning service. Haven't spotted either round here, but it's only a matter of time.

I'm spending my second day mostly in bed, fighting off a mild but bothersome and highly inconvenient bug. It seems really unfair that the one time I have a flu shot, I pick up what seems like a touch of flu. Nothing too dire, it's the sore-throaty, head-achy, muscle-weary, ain't-got-no-energy sort of ailment. I'm so thankful that it waited till after Crossover Week to strike...and because the symptoms didn't materialise till Sunday night, it didn't impair my Easter Day.

Fortunately, an entirely blank schedule on Monday permitted mollycoddling, and today I can take it easy, too. Unfortunately, I must rouse myself for an evening meeting, and have a busy day tomorrow--errands and another meeting.

My enforced lassitude means I'm working on the manuscript. And listening to many very interesting radio programs.

Oh, and I'm breaking in new footwear. I wander about the Lodge in my flannel jim-jams and fleecy dressing gown, wearing a pair of pretty black ballet flats. Better to accustom my feet to new shoes gradually, at home, then by pounding the sidewalks of New York.

One of my Scentimental tree roses has thrown out another vivid and highly scented blossom.



No need to send flowers to this invalid. She grows her own!


No comments: