"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, March 15, 2008

No Rest for the Busy




It's a Saturday, so of course we woke to fresh snow. Not a lot, just enough to remind us that winter still has us in its clutches.


Here's a chickadee, patiently waiting for me to stop snapping his picture and start tossing bread and seeds on the ground.



I had planned to shoot some black and white snow scenes today. But the light was such that I can offer up a full-colour photo that looks like b&w!



We hopped into a vehicle and headed to the village. The Chap went to the liquor store. I went to church. (No jokes, please!) My errand was to shoot photos of children's group pre-Palm Sunday/Easter activities. I got a bit involved myself in ice cream making.

This strange orb is an ice cream maker. The outer portion is filled with ice cubes. Embedded in the middle is the container with the future ice cream. The object is to roll it around on the floor until freezing occurs.



Freezing hadn't yet taken place when I left.

The Chap got his hair cut--I watched.

Next, we were off to the town dump. In fact, it is a multi-town dump, serving four towns.



We have mandatory recycling!

I didn't just take pictures, I helped out with some dumping.

This afternoon I'm seeing a movie at the new-ish art cinema in the capitol city. The film, For the Bible Tells Me So" was well-received at Sundance last year (nominee for the Grand Jury prize) and earend various film festival awards.

For several reasons I have personal interest in attending the screening. #1: I was present during a portion of filming--the director and crew showed up at a diocesan meeting/retreat in which I participated. Mind you, I have absolutely no expectation of seeing myself in the final cut. As a former filmmaker myself, I am well aware that it was the most boring footage imaginable. #2: The director will be present for a Q&A afterwards ... #3: as will be my Bishop.


No comments: