"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Parting Shots

The seminary daffodils the Chap spotted yesterday.



My shot of the Empire State Building, taken from one of the streets in the neighbourhood of the hotel.



The Chap's more distant view of the Empire State from Brooklyn Bridge.



Here I am heading off the conference after-party. We were encouraged to wear our habitual writing attire, hence the flannel loungewear.



The party was boisterous, a laugh riot. We played a diabolical quiz game. I wasn't on the winning team but as they say it's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game. The difficulty level of the questions was off the charts. It was BYOB. When the Chap was shopping for provisions earlier, he picked out a Mojito in a bottle for me. A bold and interesting complement to cold medication and ibuprofen!

I had just left the party suite and was waiting for an elevator when security arrived on the scene--presumably there were complaints about noise. I'm not surprised. We were really loud.

When I see them again, I must refrain from telling my canines that this hotel caters to their kind. Yes, there's a Jet Set Pets program. I cannot conceive of bringing Ruth and Jewel to New York with me, though this suite of ours is large enough to accomodate them comfortably. This may be the largest room we've ever had in NYC, and I'm not even counting the kitchen part of it.

We've never stayed this far downtown on any of our trips, and it's been interesting being in a different area than our usual--Lexington and the 40's (the Waldorf) or else Times Square environs. The bells from what I assume to be a monastery--either the Franciscans or the Capuchins--have been a welcome grace note, quite literally. I'm worried about those Capuchins, they've got no windows and the building looks so soul-less. But I'm sure it's really not!

Speaking of soul, for one of our meals we had Soul Food. Pulled pork barbecue, fried okra, collard greens.

I'm anticipating another pleasant train trip tomorrow afternoon. I look forward to collecting my darling doggies at the end of it. I've missed them a lot more than I've missed being surrounded by heaps of snow. Somehow I must re-accustom myself--dare I hope that significant melting has occurred? And I've got to take up my mandolin again and make up the lost practice days!

Oh. And I've still got that novel to write.


No comments: