"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, April 07, 2008

Friends & Spammers



Popping up again--like my friend the chipmunk, who has taken up residence in the snow bank under the bird feeders.

My lovely, leisurely day wasn't spoilt by being called a--what was it? pretentious shrew?--in my comments section. And yet, being the sort of pretentious shrew who takes things very much to heart, naturally I wondered what about my Blog Life might give that impression. Heaven knows there's no intentional pretension in my Real Life.

Because I'm a pretentious shrew with a sense of humour, I considered leaving the anonymous comments. What better way to level my so-called pretensions? However, my blog is my playground, and my diary. My friends from near and far stop by (for reasons unknown to me) to read about what I've been doing and/or thinking. I want them to have a nice time, and to return. Rarely do I focus on less than positive aspects of life (except when I'm ill! and then I keep it to a minimum!) so enshrining that sort of negativity just didn't suit me.

A couple of the nifty widgets HaloScan offers are a computer and ISP ID function, and a spam-reporting feature.

Being a very tender-hearted pretentious shrew, when (reluctantly) deleting the anonymous comments I did not in fact report them as spam.

Just in case it's a universal sentiment, in future I shall try very hard not to be a pretentious shrew.

I'd rather be a vole. Or a mole.

Anyone who's been stopping by here for any length of time already knows how much I love small rodents.


No comments: