"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, April 14, 2008

Return of the Phoebe

I had my first sighting this morning and didn't fully realise it--a quick flash of grey past my office window. Hope dawned...and yet, I told myself, it could've been a titmouse.

But just now the phoebe, a male, perched on the sunlit branch of a winterberry tree. I gazed for a few seconds, then dashed for the camera. He was gone by the time I returned.

Last year, the male and female both arrived on April 19th. So despite the lingering signs of winter (all that snow still on the ground!) they've come at the usual time.

Also today I've been watching the female purple finch at our feeders. Until now, we've only seen a pair of males.

So despite the cool, blustery weather, my spring fever still rages.


No comments: