"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Beasts, Brattleboro, & Bridges

We started off our weekend with a lobster feast. After roaming the State House, my friend and I picked up three live chicken lobsters (approx. 1 & 1/4 pounds each, on special!) at the supermarket.

I had my usual fun teasing dogs with crustaceans. Was Ruth frightened of the lobster, or concerned about my mental state?



It was a lovely feast!



On Saturday morning, we took a road trip. Our first stop was Brattleboro, Vermont, just across the Connecticut River. I'm shopping for a mandolin upgrade--Number Four--and knew about a fantastic music store with lots of mandolins in stock.

With lots of advice and assistance from the extremely knowledgeable clerk (a very skilled mandolin player!), I tried out my hot prospect--the oval hole--and the runner-up.



And I tried out a whole lot more.

While I was test driving the inventory, H.H. took this awesome picture of the guitars.



When my fingers were tired, we asked one of the staff where we could get some lunch. Having just come from there, he directed us to Amy's Bakery Arts Café. Perfect! Highly recommeded!

From our table in Vermont, we had a lovely view of a New Hampshire mountain.



We crossed the Connecticut River again. Picked up wine at the NH State Liquor Store. Followed the Asheulot River. As we rode along in the direction of Swanzey, I had a feeling we might find a good place to shop for lawnware. A mile after voicing this thought, we passed a garden shop--oh, my goodness! When we left it, the car boot held an almost life-sized concrete fawn statue, a hedgehog, and a wee lady mouse dressed in clothing, who looks just like a Beatrix Potter character. All for only $30!!

The Chap, so excellent with navigation and maps, took us round the circuit of covered bridges in the area. Here's Bridge No. 1.



We explored five bridges in all. I've got so many photos that I'm plan to throw my best ones into a Facebook album. When I do, I'll post the link.



After seeing the bridges, we stopped at Keene for some shopping but no purchasing. When we got back to the Lodge, we had a home-cooked deli pizza for supper. Ruth and Jewel love pizza crusts!


No comments: