"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Damp Sunday Stroll



Such a busy Friday and Saturday, much touring about, many photographs taken! So while I'm sorting through all the evidence of enjoyment, here is my Sunday stroll. We had heavy and constant rains overnight, very refreshing for my garden!


On the deck, wisteria.



In the lawn, wild ox-eye daisy.



In one rose and perennial garden, pink lupine.



In the same garden, the dianthus called Sweet William.



In the big rose garden, a wild rose.



One of the most ancient of roses, the Four Seasons Rose/Autumn Damask. Dates from Roman times. At one time the only reblooming rose. Deliciously fragrant!



Rose of the Day: Shailers Provence. The blowsy pink boursault rose that my mother rooted from a cutting and mailed to me. Now the enormous shrubs are among the tallest in the front rose garden. Most days, my favourite rose!



And indoors, the amaryllis plant the previous bishop presented to me as a thank-you gift some five years ago.



For links to other Strolls, see The Quiet Country House.


No comments: