"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Blog-iversary



Today marks three full years of blogging. This is my 660th posting.

I've reunited with old friends, made new friends (some of them via blogging).

Shadow and Lola, our long-lived and much loved dogs, left us.

We welcomed Ruth, then Jewel, into our household.

Our Rector moved from our parish to another; within a week of his departure heaven sent us a wonderful and faithful new Rector.

I was unexpectedly elected to serve my community and New Hampshire as a State Representative.

I did some paid consulting and even more pro bono work.

I travelled with the Chap--to London and the UK many times, to Eastern Europe, to Montréal and Québec, to the South, Down East to Maine, over to Vermont, a couple of times to New York.

I presided at or attended committee and Council meetings (too many meetings!) at which much good was accomplished and where the fellowship is a gift in itself.

I wrote articles.

Celebrated book sales in foreign territories.

Created websites.

Helped build a town library.

Learned to play the mandolin.

Researched my novel, making many discoveries, and wrote some of it (but not enough--never enough).

Attended writers' conferences.

Spent many, many days and nights at the cottage on the Big Lake.

Shovelled mountains of snow.

Planted and grew and picked plenty of roses.

Watched birds and wild beasts.

Tried to be a good and giving person. Sometimes succeeded, too often didn't.

Learned some life lessons from others, including other bloggers, for which I thank you. (And also for the recipes!)

There are days, I confess, that I wish my time was not so full. That I could return to the quieter, more contemplative, more productive (in the writing sense) life I lived prior to September 11, 2001. But these times are so rich and rewarding that the nostalgia is only fleeting. Besides, I'm the one who has the power to ensure that my life is properly balanced. I think right now it is--as much as it can be. Probably because it's summertime!

And with that reflection, I'm off to write my book.


No comments: