"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Tuesday Tidings with Preview of Coming Attractions

We left the Big Lake for the Lodge yesterday, another breezy, sunny day. The Chap departed earlier than I did, having done various wonderful cottage-y tasks. By the time the girls and I arrived at the house some nineteen miles to the south, the lawn had been cut and spaces round the windows caulked. For him, a true "labour day"!

Peeking into the master bath, I discovered that in my long absence a portion of the tile was installed. A tantalising sneak preview of the desired result.

This afternoon consisted of mandolin lesson, city errands, capped off by a diocesan meeting. But instead of returning to the Lodge I came back to the cottage. Solo. No man, no dogs. I was accompanied only by milk, green grapes, a mandolin, a laptop, and an incomplete novel.

Yesterday, when walking to the Point with the girls we saw summer people loading their cars with their kids and pets and kayaks, hitching up their boat trailers. Heading for home.

Today, I returned to find that all roads round the lake are deserted. The lake is empty of all watercraft. And the wild winds have died, it's as still as I've ever seen it.

For me, because I'm still here and it's a warm evening, it doesn't yet feel as though summer is over. But comparing my September calendar to the previous three months, I can see that change--and very different activity--lies ahead.

A week from today: the Primary election. Today I saw one of my political signs adorning a friend's lawn. It was a real, "Oh, yeah!" moment. I'm uncontested this month, but it's a different story in November.

In addition to the campaign, I'll be travelling in the autumn months.

In a few weeks I shall wear this dress...



...to a ball in this Washington, DC residence.



As well as attending an embassy reception and gala dinners and lunches and cruising the Potomac, I'll have a chance to see long-unseen family members.

And of course I'll be headed for the metropolis where this landmark can be found.



I'm going because I always go after the leaves fall off the trees and before winter sets in. I've got a few--but crucial--research loose ends to tie up. And friends to see. And it puts us in the Christmas mood like nothing else.

In the interests of research I'm dragging the Chap to this historic "lodge" (far, far grander than the one in which we live!)--



--which nowadays looks like this--



--and plan to dine in this very room where dukes and princes dined.



Oh, and there's one more trip on my schedule which I cannot discuss, due to its Top Secret aspects. Sometimes I can be very good at keeping secrets, despite my overwhelming urge to blurt. Other times, I'm not. The coming weeks will be a true test of my discretion.

So, if you've grown weary of pics of the same old canines and big lake and mountain view and roses, stay tuned. More varied blog content is coming!

In the meantime, I'm writing like a madwoman and revelling in my secluded, hermetic uncivilised country lifestyle. (Every time I spot that plastic-sheathed ballgown hanging in my closet, it's another "Oh, yeah!" moment.)

And I'm starting to worry about Savannah relatives, with hard-hearted Hanna possibly headed in their direction.


No comments: