"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It's Here!

Probably not for long, but snowflakes are flying today.

I was in the Capitol City for two errands in adjacent blocks. As I parked my car at the diocesan offices, the Bishop (with whom I had a meeting) stepped out just as the first white specks started coming down. We both freaked out a little. I headed to the State House to file my candidacy's Receipts & Expenditures report (today is a reporting deadline). By the time I returned to the offices a few minutes later, the snow was gone.

It returned around noontime while I was at the Post Office purchasing hundreds of stamps for a last-minute mailing to constituents. The flurries turned off during my conversation with my own Rector, whom I encountered by quite chance heading out of the Post Office.

They resumed during my homeward drive. As I wound up the hill, past the meadow, lots of light, icy flakes pelted my car. They seem to have subsided for the moment.

Sorry, no photographic evidence to offer you. No accumulation whatsoever. There's not enough to be measureable--in my region--because it's so sporadic and the ground isn't cold yet and it's very, very blustery.

Still, a taste of winter.

And yet the landscape screams "Autumn!" The oaks, beeches, and poplars have held their leaves and look magnificent right now--very little bright yellow or vivid red to be seen, but countless gradations of gold and orange and bronze.

Also here: the local newspaper's Voter Guide supplement.



It features candidate photos, experience, priorities, and brief answers to questions about significant issues facing the state in the next legislative session.

One person (not in my district) must've figured out that you don't need much of an answer if you use your allotted space complaining that 50 words aren't enough to answer with!

I, the professional author, being soooooo experienced with word counts, provided mostly answers of exactly 50 words, and a couple within a word or two of the requirement.

Not that it'll win me any votes.

Neither does having a decent (rather recent) head shot photo benefit me much--although one constituent noticed.

"Aren't you cute!" says the Chap upon opening his paper this morning.

Although I'm doing the best I can to retain my seat, and I feel my record justifies it, I'm aware that my re-election hangs upon factors far beyond my control. Certainly not upon any perceived
cute-itude. Or lack of it.


No comments: