"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Other Anniversary



The day after we married the Chap brought me to New Hampshire for our honeymoon at the Big Lake cottage and in the White Mountains. We got here after dark, and we made a couple of necessary stops along the way. In Boston he introduced me to shockingly bad driving as well as taking me onto the USS Constitution berthed in Boston Harbor. In Danvers (formerly Salem Village) I had my first photo op at the Porter River and Porter Street. Imagine the thrill of marrying a river and a street!

I considered myself rather well travelled back then, yet it was my very first experience of New England and its version of autumn. Today, as I drove round to favourite beauty spots to photograph the annual display, I was remembering how magical it seemed to me. Back then I never imagined I'd one day live here.







I didn't need to travel so far for foliage, I can find it on our very own road.





Our little lake.



It was the perfect October day: crisp, breezy, bright, cloudless. The trees haven't peaked yet in the Capitol Region yet in some areas the leaves have already fallen to the ground.


No comments: