"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, October 06, 2008

Our Anniversary




Once upon a time on this very date in a historic old church in a Southern city a bride walked down the aisle wearing her mother's satin wedding dress and her grandmother's lace. She was marrying the man of her dreams...the one she'd met over three years earlier, and on meeting him knew beyond doubt that he was The One. The Only One.

A little while later the couple left the church arm-in-arm to begin their new life together. They had high hopes for the future, yet scarcely imagined how rewarding and joyful and supportive their partnership would be.



Here on my blog, you'll read a lot about me-me-me. On this day I need to honour the remarkable man with whom I share my life. I wouldn't be who I am without him. He is kind and thoughtful and living with me has made him patient. We have similar backgrounds and share the same values. We love many of the same people and things. He sets a wonderful example of integrity. He's by far the better person. He's the one with all the important, crucial life skills--you know, like being able to add and subtract, or change the oil in the car. The one who cheers me up when I need it. Who makes me laugh like nobody else. Who has proved a wonderful and devoted parent to a succession of mad canines. Who supports my every endeavour no matter how uncomfortable for him or how remote success appears ("We definitely need a second/third dog!" "I'm going to write novels and call it a career!" "I think I'll run for the Legislature!")

I don't know what I did to deserve him, I'll probably never figure it out. The best I can do is try to deserve him.

So, a lifetime of thanks to the one from whom--many years ago today--I acquired the surname printed on all those campaign signs he planted for me this weekend.




No comments: