"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday Stroll and Sunday Drive



Before I left the Lodge Friday morning, I spotted something pink in the front rose garden. I arrived home after dark last night, but first thing this morning I strolled outside--in the cold--to examine my last rose of the season. It's Jacques Cartier, a gallica, one that repeat-blooms. Like its intrepid explorer namesake, it's hardy enough to make it through a succession of very chilly nights!



There were two blossoms, the other was stunted and not as photo-worthy. I left them on the bush, but on my way back to the house I plucked the last stem of delphinium, a sprig of yarrow, and white phlox to enjoy indoors. The last sights of a summer that ended some time ago!



We had no frost upon our property. Our church is several miles to the north, and clearly in a slightly more frigid climate zone! I shot the next two photos along the walkway to the red front door.




My little church in the village was the twelfth I've entered since noontime Friday. I had communion yesterday morning at the Celebration on New Ministry but I didn't consider staying home today, weary though I was. This was a morning to be thankful--for a successful tour in perfect, glorious foliage, safe return home, many years of marriage....

The Chap and I went in separate vehicles. After the service he headed up to the cottage for some closing-up chores. I made my leisurely way back to the Lodge, pausing to photograph favourite views along the way.

The Friends Meeting House.



Punkin stand at the big farm.



I strolled over to the fence on the other side of the road, where the heifers were ready for their close-up. (Only I did a wide shot, to fit them all in!)



My friend the horse who lives at the very next farm, right at the town line.



Road to the Lodge.



The beech in our front yard.



I've got lots more pretty pictures from the rest of my North Country visitation, but haven't finished reviewing them.

To see what other strollers saw today, hop over here!


No comments: