"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Travelling Companion



I'm writing from my room in an airport hotel. This bug is climbing the walls. It's what we call a stinkbug, and because at this season they are crawling all over the Lodge, I suspect it sneaked into my suitcase and emerged as soon as I opened it.

My day began very early, when the Chap and I headed to our Diocesan Convention--in separate cars. Another eerily mild morning, with fog so dense we couldn't even see the little lake across the road from our house.

As usual, the convention met at the big church next to the State House--big enough to hold over 300 lay and clerical delegates, diocesan staff, volunteers, and guests. Everyone seemed in good spirits. We had a Eucharist (I liked the hymns, which were only vaguely familiar), and the important business meeting, votes on resolutions and a couple of presentations. Even so, we finished 35 minutes ahead of schedule!

By that time it was late afternoon, and raining heavily. I kissed the Chap goodbye--he headed back to the Lodge to feed the dogs and console them in my absence. I motored on to this hotel to spend the night, no more than a 20 minute drive in heavy traffic and downpour.

It's bizarre being a mere 40 minutes from home! But my flight tomorrow is so early that I preferred sleeping just 5 minutes away from the airport. It will make a huge difference.

In the past I've travelled solo fairly frequently. To writers' conferences, to author appearances, to places in the UK and even to Normandy on my own. But it's been a very, very long time since I did go somewhere all by myself. I can't even remember the last time. More often than not, the Chap tags along...or else I'm tagging along with him on his trips.

I do wish he could've accompanied me on this adventure, too. But he's got a conference at mid-week, followed by a seminar, that keep him tied to New Hampshire.

If I release my buggy friend outside in the morning, he faces a certain death as the Northern winter sets in. If I leave him here in this grand and spacious room, the next guest might freak out and squish him. If I take him with me to a warmer clime, he might enjoy a somewhat longer life....I feel very responsible for his fate.


No comments: