"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, December 22, 2008

Things Done and Not Done: My 100 List

I resolved not to blog today, in order to spare you more and more photos of Dogs in the Snow. Yes, our drifts are insanely, hilariously deep, and the dogs are entirely dwarfed and adorable.

But then...making my morning blog rounds, I stopped over at Michelle's place, and found this list. I probably should've spared you this, too, but I have a very low immunity to these things. So here's a long list of factoids about me, with Yes answers in boldface.

1. Started your own blog.

2. Slept under the stars.

3. Played in a band. Bear in mind, I'm defining "band" very loosely.

4. Visited Hawaii. On the way home from New Zealand I was there for a few hours.

5. Watched a meteor shower. Whenever I can.

6. Given more than you can afford to charity. Oh, I give...it's just that I can probably always afford to give more.

7. Been to Disneyland. I saw Disney World in FL when it was very new.

8. Climbed a mountain. Big ones in CO. There's a little mountain in our backyard here at the Lodge, I think that's the only NH one I've climbed.

9. Held a praying mantis. I prefer to photograph them but I'm not afraid to touch.

10. Sang a solo.

11. Bungee jumped. Not an ambition of mine!

12. Visited Paris. Multiple times.

13. Watched a lightning storm at sea.

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch.

15. Adopted a child. No, just dogs.

16. Had food poisoning. Only once. Isla Mujeres.

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty. I like it best from a distance.

18. Grown your own vegetables.

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France.

20. Slept on an overnight train.

21. Had a pillow fight.

22. Hitchhiked. Once. During our grad school years the Chap & I hitched a ride to the university's football stadium with somebody else who was headed to the game. Even under these relatively safe conditions I was extremely reluctant!

23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill. Not that I recall. (I almost never take sick days when I am ill!)

24. Built a snow fort. Not for years. I've got enough snow right now to re-create a walled medieval city, actual size, if only the snow weren't so powdery dry.

25. Held a lamb. I don't recall whether I've gathered one into my arms. But I'm going to say yes, because I've definitely hugged lambs.

26. Gone skinny dipping. I refuse to elaborate, except to say there has been more than a single incident of this shocking behaviour.

27. Run a marathon. Very funny!

28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice.

29. Seen a total eclipse.

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset.

31. Hit a home run.

32. Been on a cruise. Not a cruise where you live on a ship for days on end. Probably can't count the MS Mt Washington on the Big Lake, or the Potomac cruise I had in September. Or my canoe.

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person. Don't think I can count fly-overs. But it does look very cool from the air!

34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors. Many of them.

35. Seen an Amish community. No, just the Mennonites' and Shakers'.

36. Taught yourself a new language. I've worked a bit at Welsh, Manx, and Jersiaise. Really obscure ones!

37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied. When I think hard and seriously and honestly about it, it has to be "Yes."

38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person

39. Gone rock climbing. It's so not me.

40. Seen Michelangelo's David

41. Sung karoke.

42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt. No, but I saw similar geysers in New Zealand.

43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant. It's entirely possible I've done this, if I picked up the tab for a large mixed group and didn't know every single person. But I'll say no.

44. Visited Africa. Not me...I experienced it vicariously through the Chap, though.

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight. Many beaches.

46. Been transported in an ambulance. I'm not entirely certain, it pre-dates my first memories, but I suspect so. My first memories are periodic subsequent hospital stays as a result of the incident that would've involved the ambulance ride.

47. Had your portrait painted. About 4 times. Totally embarrasing!



48. Gone deep sea fishing. I went out on a boat but didn't actually fish that day.

49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person.

50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. I like it better from a distance.

51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling. Snorkeled, but not very well.

52. Kissed in the rain. I've done almost everything in the rain. Almost!

53. Played in the mud.

54. Gone to a drive-in theater.

55. Been in a movie. Three of 'em. And a tv show.

56. Visited the Great Wall of China.

57. Started a business.

58. Taken a martial arts class. Jujitsu, when I was a little kid.

59. Visited Russia.

60. Served at a soup kitchen.

61. Sold Girl Scout cookies.

62. Gone whale watching. Why ever not? The boat is only 50 minutes away....one of these days!

63. Got flowers for no reason.

64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma. If only I could! I'm not allowed, due to living in the UK before, during and after the mad cow disease scare. And isn't it great, knowing your life's blood might be dangerous--deadly, even. Mooooooooooooo!!!

65. Gone sky diving. Ha!

66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp. Wouldn't care to.

67. Bounced a check. Once, I think. Which is fantastic, considering how lousy my checkbook oversight can be!

68. Flown in a helicopter. No thanks!

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy. Many of them. Most of them.

70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial. Lots! It's totally awesomely impressive at night.

71. Eaten Caviar.

72. Pieced a quilt.

73. Stood in Times Square. Well, mostly I keep walking. But yes.

74. Toured the Everglades

75. Been fired from a job. I've barely ever had a real job!

76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London.

77. Broken a bone. Collarbone, when very, very young. No big deal. My hysterical panic attack during the x-ray was the worst part.

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle. Trust me, this will never happen. Because I'm unlikely ever to get on any motorcycle.

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.

80. Published a book. At last count, 12 of them, if I count the novella and don't count the Master's thesis.

81. Visited the Vatican. One of these days...but I keep going to Venice instead of Rome.

82. Bought a brand new car. And I paid for it with a personal check...not the once that bounced!

83. Walked in Jerusalem.

84. Had your picture in the newspaper. An embarassing number of times!

85. Read the entire Bible.

86. Visited the White House.

87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating. If fishes count.

88. Had chickenpox. And barely survived it.

89. Saved Someone's Life. I like to think so.

90. Sat on a jury.

91. Met someone famous. Where do I start? Pres. Elect Obama? Vice Pres. Elect Biden? Alan Alda? Shaun Cassidy? I could continue...but won't.

92. Joined a book club.

93. Lost a loved one.

94. Had a baby. Came close, once. See #93.

95. Seen the Alamo in person. Should I?

96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake. This does not sound fun to me. Not even if I were skinny-dipping. Especially if skinny dipping!

97. Been involved in a lawsuit.

98. Owned a cell phone. I use it more like a walkie-talkie and practically only ever ring the Chap on it.

99. Been stung by a bee. When you spend your childhood catching them in Mason jars, it's bound to happen.

100. Read an entire book in one day. Often. Thinking about doing it today!


No comments: