"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Challenges of Leadership

The primary challenge of legislative leadership turned out to be showing up.

Early this morning I rose from my not-so-sick-anymore-sickbed, doped myself to the max, showered, dressed and climbed into my car exactly on time for my drive to the Legislative Office Building. Today House Majority appointees--committee chairs, vice chairs, majority leaders--were having an all-day leadership training/seminar.

My car wouldn't start. Dead battery.

The Chap had already left for work.

There's not enough Rescue Remedy in the world to handle my panic. But I took some anyway. Then I remembered there's a taxi company in the next town. So I rang them up and told them I had to be at the Capitol asap. Turns out, even if you live in the forest, you can get a taxi to town--for a price.

The driver successfully located the Lodge (that was his challenge!) I had a very pleasant ride with a constituent of mine who is very attentive to state and local issues, so it was a productive trip. Our first stop was the bank ATM so I could withdraw the extra money I needed to pay his fare and tip!

I was only half an hour late, and the introductory part of the session was still underway.

The rest of my day passed without incident, and was extremely interesting and, I suspect, will prove useful.

While in the State House, dropping off paperwork at the Sec. of State's office and elsewhere, I popped into Representatives Hall to photograph my new assigned seat. It was my first choice. I'm reliably informed it was a lot of other people's first choice, so I feel quite lucky and privileged!





Yes, I know, it looks perfectly ordinary, not much different than any other chair. But as with all real estate, it's a case of location, location, location!

As indicated below, it's located near a light source and near a window. It has a view (which I didn't think to photograph for you) not only of the rooftops on Main Street, but also a portion of a tree on the front lawn of the State House. It's not technically an aisle seat, but there a little gap between the chair and the pillar that enables a slender person to slip through, and avoid having to climb over people. Or being climbed over. The picture angle makes the gap look larger than it really is, it's only a few inches. But it'll do.



Oh, another point in its favour: Wi-fi is available in the back rows of the chamber (and in the anteroom). Naturally, given the importance of our business, we aren't permitted to use laptops while the House is actually in session. But before session, and during lunch break, it's quite convenient to be able to fire up the computer. I discovered that when occupying my former seat.

By week's end, this new Vice Chair will have had ample opportunity to try out her new small-c chair!


No comments: