"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Festivities & Felines

At yesterday's mandolin lesson I received the next sections in the longest, most complicated piece of music I've had so far. And I had a re-stringing tutorial. My instrument has needed new strings for quite a while.

Soon as I got back to the Lodge I was in a cooking frenzy. It was the night of our usual monthly dinner party--which, due to travels we've not attended together since August! (In Sept. we were in Washington, The Chap went solo in October when I was on my North Country church tour, we were in London in November, and there wasn't one in December.) I was doing the main course. I don't often cook for 15-20 persons! Fortunately my chicken parmigiana recipe is expandable. It got rave reviews, and only one portion was leftover.

We were quite a festive group. One person was celebrating an 83rd birthday. And we were all still experiencing post-Inaugural euphoria. The food was fantastic, there was cake and ice cream, and champagne.

The house where we partied is over 2 centuries old. It has a dog and about 6 cats, some of which are only rumoured to exist because they're shy.

A young tiger cat wasn't at all shy. At first we thought he was a new resident, but in fact he was there for babysitting. "This is Foster," we were told. "He's Compton's brother. He comes from Rhode Island."

Foster was very inquisitive and very friendly. He looks exactly like my childhood cat...the only cat I ever had. He also looks just like his big brother Compton. (Both are named for towns in Rhode Island.)

A friend was playing with Foster when I took these photos:





PS I forgot to mention...Neighbours of ours, who were at the dinner party, are the human grandparents of Boswell the Goose! So we received first-hand info about his condition and treatment and progress. If you want to follow Boswell's story, visit The Daily Honk...but because he's a celebrity as well as a medical patient, he doesn't have time to update it as regularly as his fans might like. So it's not actually a "daily" honk.


No comments: