"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

A happy day here at the Lodge. The morning skies were grey but the closer we get to the Oath Taking, the more sunshine and blue sky I see. At the same time, snowflakes are gently drifting down. Every television set in the house is switched on.

And we're all appropriately attired.



The oversized t-shirt was a gift from a State House colleague. New Englanders will recognise the popular "local" font. I'm standing in front of the portrait of my husband's Revolutionary War soldier ancestor. What would he, who fought to create this nation, think about this historic day, I wonder?

The girls are big fans of Obama. They are mixed breeds--he's mixed race. They are black and white. So is he.



More later....

No comments: