"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, January 12, 2009

Pride of the Winslet(t)s



So exciting for us of Winslet(t) stock. "Cousin Kate," as we refer to her round here, was awarded two Golden Globes last evening, as Best Supporting Actress in The Reader and as Best Actress in Revolutionary Road.

We were riveted to the season premiere of 24, so missed the first 2 hours of the awards show, and were unaware of Kate's first win of the night. By the time we tuned in, the major awards were being handed out...and they pleased us immensely (30 Rock and Mad Men are must-see-tv in this household!).

I was somewhat startled to find Kate almost entirely incoherent at the start of her acceptance speech for Best Actress...now that I know it was her second time at the podium, I can almost understand why she might've felt so overwhelmed. I love her for remembering to thank so many of the crew and behind-the-scenes folks, who usually go unrecognised. Too bad that the 2 films in which her performances are lauded (for which she will surely receive matching Academy Award nominations) are so dark and heavy. I don't think I'll be rushing to the cinema, but they'll go onto the Netflix queue.

Laura Dern won for her portrayal of Flordia's Secretary of State, Katherine Harris in Recount (which I recommend most strongly!) I was, many years ago, ever so slightly acquainted with the real-life Harris. I prefer not to be more specific. I still haven't fully recovered from the 2000 electoral debacle in FL.

Kate of the one-t Winslets grew up in Reading, England, where her family still live. My crop of two-t Winsletts hail from the same general area, in Surrey. You can clearly see that it's the heart of Winslett country on this map. Nobody's quite certain whether our lot added a t, or the other lot dropped it, but spelling in olden times was far from codified. The history of the Winsletts after their arrival in America (under extremely dubious circumstances!) is fascinating.

My first (and only female) cousin's middle name is Winslett. I'm often tempted to adopt it as a pen name.



*** I'm envious of Kate's new weightlifting accessories! A little while ago I was copying her moves with my free weights. Yes, as of today, I'm feeling well--or bored--enough to resume my exercise regimen!


No comments: