"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Relapse

Although my health seemed much improved during the week, my rigourous schedule of activities proved detrimental. I'm better than I was a week ago, but clearly a relapse has occurred. Yesterday after a legislative breakfast at the regional community college, I took to my sofa. I'm having as quiet a Saturday as possible, but the Chap and I have an event this evening, downtown...a private reception and performance of the Capitol Steps. I'm hoping it won't be too taxing, unless I exhaust myself laughing.

We've been back from the UK for only a month, plus a few days, but are already planning the next trip...for later in the year.

On our return, we both installed one particular photo as wallpaper on our computers, my laptop and his desktop at the office. I took it during our visit to the Tower of London...by the Chap's special request.

As we stood on Tower Green, looking northward, he noticed the array of architectural eras and styles--the bell tower of St. Peter ad Vincula, a Tower battlement poking up behind, the dark brick of an official's lodging, the white magnificence of the former Port of London Authority headquarters, and the most recent addition, the highly modernistic Swiss RĂ© tower, aka "the Gherkin". All visible within a fairly compact space.

He strongly suggested that I document it, with the following result:



It's one of our favourite images from the trip. It's a bit deceiving, from that angle you really can't see how very tall the Gherkin is.

So here's one showing how it dominates the skyline:




No comments: