"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Indoors

The weather has warmed up from the single and low-double digits of last week, and the violent winds that kept us awake most of last night are gone. But The Bug is still wreaking havoc with our constitutions here at the Lodge, and I hadn't the energy to go tramping through the snow. Hence, this indoor stroll.

From my window I captured this pair of mourning doves, sunning themselves atop the old lobster trap.



A garden statue, overwintering inside the Lodge.



And another.



My indoor garden of houseplants has been featured many times. Today I'm revealing some of the flora that adorn the house.

Much of the artwork here at the Lodge has a rosy or flowery theme. This is a detail from a cover illustration for one of my novels...the artist used photos of my real roses when painting it, including Rosamundi, my striped gallica.



Rosamundi again, by Redoute, on a storage box.



I think the rose in this picture must be a centifolia.



A Victorian-era painting on glass, a mixed bouquet.



Other decorative roses...

This little china vase contained a florist's arrangement, delivered to my mother's hospital room the day after I was born. She thought I should have it.



A border on a bathroom hand towel.



In the non-rose category...

A pillow decorated with camellias.



This orginial print of a pear was given to the Chap by a Dublin client, one of several treasured pictures received from the same source.



Enough of flora--here's some fauna! The girls want to show off today's attire.

Ruth is wearing her $1000 Canadian banknote kerchief. She thought it would be appropriate for our Sunday matinee viewing of the film The Queen.



Jewel prefers the more traditional motif.



Thanks for stopping by on this first Sunday of 2009. For links to other strolls, please stop by A Quiet Country House.


No comments: